A Hip-Hop Approach to Social Emotional Learning
Teacher and Student Edition (this book includes the student edition and teacher edition in one book)
In Like Music to My Ears–Teacher and Student Edition–Dwayne D. Williams shows how to use hip-hop cultural themes to build the social emotional learning (SEL) skills students need for success: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.These SEL skills have been effective at increasing academic engagement levels and decreasing suspension rates among students. After showing thousands of middle school and high school students the power of SEL, Williams has trained hundreds of practitioners on the creation of dynamic hip-hop SEL groups. Like Music to My Ears coaches social workers, school psychologists, and teachers through pairing SEL skills with hip-hop elements.
In this book, Williams provides
• A step-by-step map to creating hip-hop SEL—and how you can get the students to help you do it
• 14 lessons by Williams, all tested and shown to increase engagement
• 14 action-item agendas to bring the lessons to life
• A simple, evidence-based tool students can use to monitor their progress
• Rap songs aligned with the 5 SEL competencies
• Much more!