A Hip-Hop Approach to Social Emotional Learning
In this book, Dwayne D. Williams shares his story with struggling in school. He shares that, during his school age years, he experienced the following:
• was held back in elementary school because he couldn’t read
• lived in housing projects as a kid
• received “food stamps” for weekly allowance
• was homeless
• got into many fights in middle and high school
• earned a “1-point something” GPA
• obtained a whopping “15” on his ACT
He explains that, although he struggled significantly as a student, he was able to graduate from high school, earn two master’s degrees, write 7 books, and start a lucrative business and speaking career.
He shares with students exactly what they must do to experience success, no matter what their current conditions might be.